Wednesday 19 March 2014

My revision tips and tricks

I thought today I would do a different post to my normal make up beauty posts, so I decided to do a post on a topic that would be hopefully helpful to people. There will always be a time in our lives where we have to revise, just face it there is nothing any of us can do but accept it. As with everything though there are good ways to go about it and bad ways to go about it, and its about knowing what works best for you. I am going to stop now before I start sounding like a teacher, but I have done my GCSE's and am currently doing my AS levels so I have had quite a lot of practise revising in the past few years. I am not saying I am a expert, but these are the things that help get me through revision with as little pain as possible. 

First I decide what I am going to revise, some people make revision time tables but that never really worked for me as I could never stick to them. So I will usually make my decision based on what I feel needs the most work.

Then I will make myself a hot drink, usually coffee as revision takes energy trust me! Also I like to put some comfy clothes on like jumpers or pyjama bottoms, I don't really know why this helps it just does.

I then decide how long I want to revise for. I have quite a short attention span so I can't do more than 1.30hrs at a time, so I set a timer to do focused revision for that amount of time. Also decide what time works best for you to revise, as a rule I never work past 9 o'clock because after that time I am not productive and anything I do doesn't help me. This could be different for everyone though I have one friend who stays up till 2 in the morning revising and she manages to do amazing in exams. If that was me I would be like a zombie and probably fall asleep in my exam! 

What works well for me is to read through a text book, then read it through again only this time saying it out loud. You might want to be careful with this as I have been sat doing revision in my sixth forms learning centre and got weird looks for talking to myself. So maybe I would reserve this one for home. I then write down as much as I can remember from that page, and then check to see if I get it right. 

I also love making posters with loads of coloured pens and displaying then round my room so that I can read them when I am getting ready. 

My last tip is that to truly understand something you have to be able to explain it to someone. Yet again I am going to sound like a freak, but I explain what I have been learning to my dogs. Yes I know, I talk to myself and animals (not really selling myself here!) it works for Dr Dolittle and trust me try it, it really works. 


If you have any tips or if you found this in anyway useful please let me know...

Lots of love
Harriet xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment